Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Learning to Knit a Hat

I have wanted to learn how to knit for some time now and started many years ago, but did not get very far. Last year, I started teaching myself how to knit from some books and online video tutorials. My first two projects were more of a sample piece that I embellished with some crochet details. I was happy with them and used them quite a lot. However, it was more about me getting use to knitting and getting comfortable with the process. I did not have a pattern and the end product was purely by accident and I simply designed as I went along.

Recently I decided to embark on my first real pattern and follow some instructions. I was happy to receive some much-needed assistance from one of my sewing students and her friend. Both these ladies were kind enough to spend an hour with me explaining a few very helpful points about knitting. At the end of our one-hour session, I had discovered that I was actually not doing too badly and had figured out how to pick-up a dropped stitch and discovered that a "Stockinette" stitch was the same knit, pearl pattern I was doing all along.

I wanted to share my latest project with you. I got a simple free pattern from off of the Lion Brand website and even though I used a smaller needle and thinner thread, I was able to create a beautiful hat that fits my son Miles. Next time I'll have to get the proper size needle and yarn so that the hat will fit me.



These pictures were taken with a little effort to get him to sit for more than two seconds, but he was a willing model and we had lots of fun taking pictures.



I used two 10 1/2 U.S. (6.5 mm) needles and a #5 bulky Bernat yarn. I added two rows of basic crochet stitch to the bottom edge of the hat to finish it off. I think however that I must have missed a row or two of stitches, because the finished hat looks a bit different than the picture for the pattern. I had fun doing this project and was able to finish in a couple hours (and I'm really slow).  If you will like to try it out, visit Lion Brand website and refer to pattern number L0503B.  However, I think that the only way to download the pattern is to join their website.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...